Thursday, January 15, 2015

Lieder Alive! Upcoming Concert

Did you know about Lieder Alive!? If so, you're ahead of me: I just learned about this excellent organization, a "fiscally-sponsored affiliate" of San Francisco Friends of Chamber Music that is dedicated to furthering the teaching, performance, and appreciation of German art song.

Lieder Alive (I'm going to drop that awkward bit of punctuation, because it makes my sentences look odd) is presenting a tasty program on Sunday, January 25, 2015. Now, that is a tough day: Paul Jacobs in playing Messiaen on the Rufatti organ at Davies and SF Contemporary Music Players will present a fabulous program at Hertz Hall (it's got two pieces by Birtwistle, that's how fabulous). 

But if you can get to the lieder program...well, it is excellent and will feature some new music as well as old. From the press release:

Jessica Wan, soprano
Laura Dahl, piano
Natalie Parker, clarinet
Paul Yarbrough, viola

Featuring works by Mahler, Schubert, and Schumann and the World Premiere of Michael Kaulkin's Zwei Hülshoff Lieder for soprano, clarinet, viola and piano

Der Hirt auf dem Felsen by Franz Schubert 
Märchenerzählungen by Robert Schumann
Rückert-Lieder by Gustav Mahler 

Sunday, January 25 at 5:00 pm
(Doors open at 4:30)
Chorissima Hall at the Kanbar Performing Arts Center
44 Page street, San Francisco
$35

I heard one of Michael's choral works a couple of years back and liked it a whole lot. I wish I could get to this program! I can't, but there are more excellent concerts coming up later this year. (All at 5 p.m. Sundays, though, a very difficult time for me.)



No comments: