Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Received in the Email, or, How to Pitch

I got an email a day or so ago about what sounds like an interesting project. However, upon careful examination of said email, I can say unequivocally that the writer took the wrong approach.

First, it started by saying the writer "loves my blog" and "what I do for the music community." Okay, fine.

But then the writer told me how much she'd like to write a posting for my blog. Well, phooey: if you think I'm going to publish a guest post, you're not reading me very carefully, even if you love my blog. In 2,661 postings, I have published no, zip, zero, nada guest postings. I mean, as far as I can remember; it's been almost ten years, after all.

Also, I don't write primarily about vocal music. I write a lot of stuff about opera, it's true, but I am also prolific on the business of opera and the business of symphony orchestras.

So, get your story straight before sending me email. If you slip up on factual matters, you lose my trust and my interest in writing about your project.

No comments: